Monday, February 4, 2013

Twilight Imperium - So this is what they mean by Epic


I was lucky to have my schedule work out this weekend so that I could have the opportunity to play the classic epic game Twilight Imperium - Third Edition. Now, the only other game that I have played that could be considered a 4x game is Starcraft.  So when I was told that this game was also 4x, I thought I had a good idea what to expect and I couldn't have been more wrong. Don't get me wrong, this was a great afternoon and night of gaming, but I didn't realize just how intense this would be. Marty was also with me and we have planned to do a 4x show on the podcast, so I am glad we got to experience this session together. 


Now, not going into how to play the game or anything like that, but just going to reflect on the 8+ hour experience and what I did right to prepare/play the game and what I did wrong. 

What I did right:

  • I read the rules, well sort of. I made it half way through the rules because I believed I could get a quick handle on the game while we played. I knew playing the first time, the strategy would not be there, that comes in the second game when you play something this long.
  • I allowed enough time to play it. I was counting on six hours but added two more to the schedule and glad I did.
  • I had no expectations on this game. I wasn't going in thinking I was going to love it or hate it. I was looking forward to just the experience of playing.
  • I brought light snacks and plenty of Diet Coke. Didn't need anything heavy here, my wits were going to be challenged enough.
  • I didn't have moments of analysis paralysis during the game. I knew I couldn't overthink this game because I didn't have the background.
  • I finished respectfully with 6 Victory Points, I think.

What I did wrong:

  • I didn't read the rules completely. I thought I would get the general idea by watching the play progress, but there were a few key rules I wish I had a better handle on before playing.
  • I didn't watch any youtube videos before playing. I should have taken the time to view at least the Dice Tower video.
  • I thought I understood what a 4x game was since I played Starcraft, yeah right.
  • Should have gone out to BoardGameGeek and downloaded some helpful guides. Normally I do this, but the volume scared me away and that should have clued me in that I was in over my head.
  • I shouldn't have turtled, should have been more aggressive. I think that is the problem when I play these games, I wait to long before making a move.
  • I should have asked more questions about the planets in the game so I could have developed a better strategy when placing them at the start. I didn't realize just how poor my planets were.
  • I placed the supernova on my side of the board, what was I thinking, not like we needed to use it to go back in time.

Closing thoughts, it was a great experience and glad the group that we had was very social and understanding of one another as we tackled this complex game. I will say, not sure I could walk away from this game and come back to it and pick up where we left off. This is one I think that if we start it, we finish it. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the insight. I've had 1 play of TI and really like it. A pointer for games with a high volume of player aids is sort them by "Hot" (right corner of files section) it will list them by he number of thumbs they have received and generally puts the best ones at the top.

    ReplyDelete